High Cholesterol aka Bad cholesterol is the result of unhealthy habits and lifestyle usually. Before we dive into the causes and herbs that are good for this disease we need to acknowledge that cholesterol in itself isn’t bad instead it helps build the cells in the body but excess amount of cholesterol that is high cholesterol can be dangerous for heart health.
Here are causes of High Cholesterol:
- Consuming processed food or products with unsaturated fat like microwavable popcorn, store bought cookies, red meat etc can cause the cholesterol level to spike.
- It is necessary to maintain a healthy weight to avoid getting high cholesterol. The ideal BMI is less than 30.
- Not doing enough exercise can lead to accumulation of bad cholesterol and decrease of good cholesterol in your body.
- Smoking can cause the cells in the body to convert into high cholesterol and decrease the production of good cholesterol.
- If you have a family history of cholesterol it might be a good idea to keep your lifestyle decisions and choices based around the fact that you might have gotten a high cholesterol issue genetically.
- Aging can affect the body functions and the risk of getting high cholesterol.
- Disease like diabetes, kidney disease and hypothyroidism can cause the bad cholesterol levels to shoot up.
Herbs that can fight bad cholesterol:
- Haritaki: Haritaki is a popular herb used in triphala. Along With cholesterol reducing properties it can also be used to reduce weight, improve digestion, increase immunity, resolve heart problems and reduce hair fall. It balances all three doshas and uplifts the overall health. Adults should usually consume 5-10 gms once or twice a day after or before meals, whereas for children it is recommended that they do not consume more than 1-2 gm in a day and it is advisable for them to consume it in warm water or warm milk with a tbsp of honey.
- Bibhitaki: Bibhtaki holds a lot of value in ancient ayurveda. This herb is usually consumed with water and honey. Bibhtaki has healing properties and can cure a number of diseases including cholesterol, along with that it also increases stamina and strength. Other uses of this herb can be treating ulcers, stress reducer, promotes liver strength, heals wounds and enhances digestion. If you want to lower your cholesterol level take this powder mixed with a glass of water.
- Amalaki: Also known as amala is packed with a lot of antioxidants and Vitamin C. It prevents hyperlipidemia, a condition due to high cholesterol levels. In a study it was also seen that it prevents hyper high blood pressure. Amalaki is amla powder and can be found on numerous offline as well as online stores. Consuming one tablespoon a day can create a great difference in your health.
- Shuddha Guggulu: Shuddh Guggul helps in regulating the overall health of liver and intestines that reduce the cholesterol levels in the body, not only that but it converts excess cholesterol into bile juice and removes it from the body in form of feces.
Tripahala is the mixture of three most important and reliable herbs in ayurveda that is amalaki, Bhibitaki and Haritaki.These herbs when mixed together compliment each other’s properties and boost the efficiency of the prevention and cure. Triphala Guggul as the name suggests is made with the goodness of triphala and the reliability of Guggul. It can help lower the cholesterol level along with improving your overall health- all you have to do is consume the tablet once a day and let Ayurved work its magic for you.